Wednesday, 27 January 2010

The useful blazer project

The double-breasted blue blazer is a wardrobe staple, and an incredibly handy item of clothing. Wearing one is a good way of making an effort, but it has a sporty informality that helps to avoid looking over-dressed. Amazingly, I didn't actually own one until last December, when I found myself going to a series of semi-formal Christmas events, and decided my wardrobe was lacking an appropriate blazer. The run up to Christmas isn't generally a good time for me to be buying expensive clothes, so I ended up falling back on Marks & Spencer, a surprisingly good source of better than average ready-to-wear clothes. My first few suits were from M&S and they're extremely well made for a very reasonable price, so it seemed like the obvious place to go for a blazer at about 1/5th the price of a Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers one.


Matched with sober accessories for a business lunch

The problem (or not, in my view) with buying ready-to-wear clothes is that they generally need some adjustments or improvements, whether it's just a few tweaks to make them fit better, or changing some more egregious fault to bring them in to line with your tastes. Personally, I don't see this as a problem at all because I enjoy finding good value clothes and then making small improvements to them, with the whole result still costing much less than what I might have paid for tailor-made.

In the case of my M&S blazer, I decided to have the body very slightly adjusted to give a bit more shape at the waist and, more self-indulgently, to replace its very ordinary plain brass buttons with a set featuring the crest of my West End Club. My plan is to get this done at a local tailor, WG Child and Sons, which appears to have been in existence for well over 100 years and is now so out of place in it's rather down-market surroundings that it has attracted my attention and I have, for a while, been eager to try them out. A simple adjustment job like this isn't a great test, I suppose, but it should at least give me an excuse to meet them and get a feel for what they can do.

3 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on WG Child & Sons for a while as I pass them quite often. So I am definitely looking forward to your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard good reviews of Child & Sons too. Can you tell us what is their price range for blazer alterations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anon - sure thing. I'm planning to go in next Saturday (I didn't make it this weekend, sadly, as they close at 4 on Saturdays) so I will let you know the prices then.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.