Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Style Icon: Roger Sterling

I love Mad Men. I love the daytime drinking, the offices, the typewriters and the casual misogyny. One thing that I'm less sure about is the clothes. On the one hand, I can't help but appreciate a tv show where men wear suits and ties all the time, and hats most of the time, but this is tempered by the fact that I'm no great fan of the skinny ties and narrow lapels favoured by Don Draper and his colleagues.

However, one man whose dress sense I really do enjoy is, perhaps unsurprisingly, one of the older men in the office. Roger Sterling largely eschews what must have been the fashion of the day in favour of more traditional styles. Generally wearing a three-piece suit, mixed up with the occasional double breasted, with slightly more interesting pocket squares than the straight white lines favoured by Don, he is always impeccably turned out.


The collar-pin is also a nice touch and, although rather out of date now, it's a fairly discrete accessory and something that's grown in popularity since Mad Men. Its the precise opposite of the fashion for undone top buttons and slightly loosened ties, and has the great advantage of keeping your tie neatly arced out from your collar.

I'll be delighted if Mad Men encourages men to think harder about their dress, but I'll be even more pleased if more men follow Roger down the route of three piece suits and collar-pins than follow Don's example of belts with suits and cigarettes in shirt-pockets.

2 comments:

  1. It was Roger Sterling's character which convinced me to buy my first ever collar-pin, and I absolutely love it. I don't wear skinny ties but certainly slimmer versions, and I now can't wear one without the pin to keep, as you say, the arc of the knot in place slightly out from the collar. My favourite is still Pete Campbell though, there's a great article with him in Esquire this month. (May be the British version only though.)
    Cheers,
    Savile Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of getting one myself, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to poke holes in my nice shirts! Do you find it does much damage, or do the holes pretty much close up after?
    I'll grab an Esquire, too and have a look for that article.
    Jake

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.