Saturday, 20 February 2010

The useful blazer is completed

I slightly regret not taking a decent 'before' picture of the blazer so that it would be easier to compare the effects of Child and Sons' changes. Suffice it to say that they have done an excellent job of adjusting the blazer to have slightly more narrowing at the waist, as I like it. For an off-the-rack garment, it now fits very nicely, and I am told by a friend that the combination of the small adjustments and the much nicer buttons makes it look like a far more expensive item than it actually was.


Unfortunately my camera is playing up so I've had to take a webcam photo - without very good results. In any case, I think the project was a great success, and, as the weather gets nicer, I look forward to wearing the blazer more often. Perhaps Bertie Wooster style, with some white trousers.
But probably not the captains cap.



10 comments:

  1. However, you could pair it with Bertie's tie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait, I didn't notice that you had. Ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking dapper as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. I do try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does your blazer not come with flap pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does but, as on many jackets, the flaps can be tucked into the pockets to create the appearance of flapless pockets. When the blazer came back from WG Childs they had put it like this for some reason and I liked it, so have left it that way for the time being. I think it's a nice clean look (and I am also fairly sure it is the same as on Bertie's jacket).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just one more question: did they make your cuff buttons working? I know some tailors can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No they didn't, although I'm sure they would have been able to. it's generally quite an expensive process as most jackets without working buttons don't have cuffs constructed in a way that would allow them to open, so they need to be cut and re-sewn. In addition, adding eight buttonholes is a fairly laborious process.
    I do like working cuffs, but part of the point of the exercise here was to get a nice jacket at a reasonable price, and going for working cuffs would have added considerably to this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never underestimate the power of a better button.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, makes a massive difference. I might think about replacing buttons on some of my other suits - it seems like a fairly cheap way to improve them, if I can find some nice replacements.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.