Sunday, 14 March 2010

A double-breasted grey flannel suit

I certainly hope that one day I'll be able to buy whatever clothes I want, but if so I will miss one of the great pleasures of wardrobe-building on a budget: finding bargains in thrift and charity stores. Giuseppe at An Affordable Wardrobe has a great blog focusing largely on this, but it's worth doing for anyone, as it's not unheard-of to find Savile Row quality bespoke suits in charity stores for under £100. They may not fit you perfectly, but you'll still have the great quality and construction, and as long as you find something that's a reasonably close fit, it can be adjusted.

Anyway, I unexpectedly found a great suit the other day. Not bespoke, as it happens, but a very nice double-breasted flannel suit from Hackett, in charcoal grey. I've been after a flannel suit for ages, as I absolutely love the luxurious look of it, and the weight of the cloth gives suits a beautiful drape. The suit could do with a few small adjustments, but it's a pretty close fit already.

Suits in this sort of very dark grey are a good substitute for black, to wear to a less formal dinner or an evening cocktail event. It's also a good understated option for business wear. I think the plain charcoal colour looks great against white, so here I've paired it with my white collar and cuff shirt, and a plain white pocket-square.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.