Friday, 9 April 2010

At the races

It's the Grand National tomorrow. Sadly I shan't be going - I'll be watching on TV - but for those of you who do go, it's nice to make the effort to look smart. Although there's no specific dress code, and it's a much less formal event than Royal Ascot, appropriately smart country attire is traditional at race events.

Brown suits or odd jackets are a good bet, as is a silk scarf and a decent covert coat to stave off the cold. Knee-high riding boots may be a bit much for the average spectator (although don't let me stop you, if you really feel the need) but thick-soled derbies, or even chelsea boots, might be a good move if you're likely to end up tramping around in damp grass.

Of course, the thing to really appreciate in the above picture is the importance of keeping a decent supply of drink with you.

4 comments:

  1. I know this is not related at all but I just wanted to say I indulged in my own useful blazer project recently. I had a waist alteration, with button replacements using a set from Benson and Clegg and working cuff eyelets added for the sleeve. All for £50 from Graham Browne tailors: http://www.grahambrowne.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Steeplechase season has begun here in Eastern U.S. and one will certainly see gents attired like the ones depicted in your post. While I take my tailgating seriously at these races...and my wagering, my kit tends more towards a sport coat and jeans...and good whiskey.Great site and posts. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hestor - seems like pretty good value to add working cuffs - you've done well. Are you pleased with it? Where did the original blazer come from?

    Mail Line Sportsman - thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it. I love that this picture seems to show an early form of tailgating! If you're ever in the UK, you should try and get to Royal Ascot - it's one of the few remaining opportunities to wear morning dress, quite apart from being a great day of flat racing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marks and Sparks like yours. The tailors seem to be decent and have had good reviews before. When I have set aside the money, I might get my first bespoke suit from these guys before trying Saville Row.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.