Tuesday, 17 May 2011

A new jacket

I've been thinking for a while that I'm in desperate need of a new jacket. A blazer, perhaps, or a sports coat, if you're American. Either way, I need something to wear when the dress code, or my own inclination, calls for making an effort, but a suit would be going overboard. Lunch with my parents, dinner with friends, tea with in-laws, and so forth. My beloved double-breasted blazer is, alas, rarely suitable on these occasions. It goes badly with jeans, is a little too visibly formal when paired with chinos, and looks uncomfortable (even a little caddish, or so one of my friends insists) without a tie.

The obvious, and practical, choice would be a single breasted blue blazer. Perhaps herringbone, and with horn buttons rather then brass, to tone it down a little. Of course, never one for the obvious choice, I have instead been attracted to the idea of a grey jacket in a relatively brash check. Something, I thought, a little like the one here, which I found while browsing around for ideas.

In the end, a trip to Cad and the Dandy decided me upon a rather lovely Glen check with a little blue running through it.



It's made by Dugdale and is a particularly beautiful cloth which should make me a lovely mid-weight, single-breasted, Spring/Autumn jacket. I have, with my usual impeccable planning, ordered it so that it will be ready just in time for the Summer.

3 comments:

  1. upon reflection I don't believe I have ever dined or lounged at anywhere that had a dress code dictating a jacket... I'm not sure I have ever even been in a place that actually 'requires' a jacket.
    This is not bragging but possibly whining.
    I suppose that using the existence of dress codes to justify a purchase is pointless if one can't afford to frequent places with such standards.

    wait... this officially makes me riff-raff doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are probably more of these places in London than elsewhere in the UK. Almost all private clubs require a jacket and tie. Amongst public restaurants or bars, dress codes are rare but I still come across them in more old-fashioned establishments. More often a jacket is required, but not necessarily a tie.

    However, you needn't let a dress code be the deciding factor. A gentleman knows when it is appropriate to wear a jacket, whether or not there is actually any rule about it one way or another. More to the point, whether or not you are riff-raff has more to do with that inner sense of dress-code than which establishments you have dined in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't ever wear a jacket of any kind with an open-necked shirt!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.