Friday, 10 June 2011

Retailer: Upper 10

One of the minor frustrations of a blog that achieves, while not exactly worldwide fame, at least a steady stream of visitors, is the spam. Blogger automatically detects a lot of it, and the rest I quickly spot and delete, so it's not that big a deal, but it is a bit irritating. Most of it is borderline nonsense and links to dubious websites selling poly-blend suits at rock-bottom prices.

So it did slightly attract my interest when I spotted some clear spam that seemed to point back to a serious business, Upper 10. A serious business located a stones throw from my old prep school, no less, in a nice part of the City of York. One friendly conversation with whoever monitors their twitter account, and I had forgiven them their SEO-related indiscretions and was intrigued by the company.


They focus on Gentleman's accessories and their range is small but well-selected, mostly made up of top brands in each category. I suspect you would find that they have more on sale in the shop itself, and it would certainly be worth a visit if you are ever in York.

The appeal of this company doesn't end there, though. Upper 10 actually seems to be the accessories-selling branch of Mullen and Mullen, a proper bespoke tailor run by the eponymous brothers. Yorkshire is home to some of the best cloth-makers in the world, and Mullen and Mullen rightly make good use of them, so you can be fairly sure the results will be excellent.

I can't judge their quality accurately, of course, but the suits pictured on the site look fantastic, and all the signs suggest that they know what they are doing. Prices are good, at around £600 for a suit and the even better news is that they make regular visits to London, so perhaps a shirt will be in order at some point. Or an overcoat - I definitely need a new overcoat.

I'd be delighted to hear from any of my readers who have experience of the shop or the tailors, and I would certainly recommend a visit to anyone who is in York. You can take in one of the most magnificent cathedrals in the country, and then swing by High Petergate to commission a tweed suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.