Tuesday, 19 June 2012

As Ascot kicks off, here is an argument for dress codes

"Evening dress is cheap, simple, durable, prevents rivalry and extravagance on the part of male leaders of fashion, annihilates class distinctions and gives men who are poor and doubtful of their social position (that is, the great majority of men) a sense of security and satisfaction that no clothes of their own choosing could confer, besides saving a whole sex the trouble of considering what they should wear on state occasions."
George Bernard Shaw

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly; apart from the bit about it being cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. My dinner jacket (1930s vintage) cost me £25 from Oxfam in 1989. I have worn it at least twice a year since then, so I wouldn't say it was expensive. Interesting though that Mr Shaw (who was very much a leftie and into 'dress reform') would say a DJ was classless. Imagine a 'Guardianista' saying that today!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.