Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Scent: Penhaligon's Sartorial

Penhaligon's is easily my favourite source of cologne, shower gel and so forth. It's a little on the pricey side but the beautiful old stores, outstanding service and unusual products make it more than worthwhile. Unlike almost all of their competitors, Penhaligon's don't create new scents based on trend analysis, figuring out what is popular and then making something to suit. Instead, they develop their own ideas, exploring a concept and producing a result so good that people will buy it regardless of whether or not it is currently 'on-trend'. The fabulously '20s Juniper Sling is a good example of this, and makes you smell slightly like a gin martini. In a good way.

Perhaps of particular interest to my readers, though, will be the 'Sartorial' scent. Inspired, they say, by the smell of the cutting-room at famous Savile Row tailors Norton & Sons, it is said to be the 'scent of Savile Row'.
It's not that you necessarily want to smell like a tailors cutting room (although I can certainly think of worse things) but this is a terrific men's scent in its own right. Subtle and waxy, it strikes me as a the perfect thing to wear as autumn sets in.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jake. You may be interested to know that on a lightening quick trip to Harvy Nics in Manchester last Friday I happened to find myself walking past Penhaligon's.
    Now I had never notice or at least taken any interest in this little shop previously but as I had read your post on that very day I popped in for a smell!
    Anyway, I bought myself a bottle of Juniper Sling and the lady wife was treated to a bottle of thier finest scent.
    Although my wallet was £200 lighter, I certainly feel extreamly pleased read your post. I smell splendid and the wife has been most accomodating ever since.
    Regards
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your note - I'm very pleased my post inspired you to make a purchase, Penhaligon's are a terrific company and I've never been disappointed with a purchase there. Nor (more importantly) have any of the various people for whom I occasionally buy gifts from Penhaligon's.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.