Thursday, 14 March 2013

Dress code: Cheltenham

At most races other than Ascot and the Derby, the dress code is somewhat 'flexible'. Suits are sometimes recommended in certain enclosures, but often its more a matter of choice.

The most usual approach taken by men with any sense of style is to go for a fairly smart country look - heavy on tweed and, often, soft waistcoats in bold country colours. Personally, I chose my grey Donegal tweed suit. It gets relatively little use, and I like the fact that it's not quite as much of a statement as a full suit in a convention green overchecked tweed or something. 


A dark green waistcoat sets this suit off nicely, and gives that all-important opportunity to get out the recently-inherited pocket watch. Other than that, I favour a slightly less aggressively 'country' shirt and tie, to slightly up the smartness and avoid looking as if I'm going on a shoot...

Off to the races? Tweed in cold weather, light grey or blue suits in the Summer. Either way, smarten up and ditch the jeans.

5 comments:

  1. Very smart, where did the waistcoat come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't quite recall, but I think it might have been a lucky purchase from Savvy Row, which is well worth a look if you're after nice vintage clothes.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Damn, I've just sold my tweed suit. I really need a tweed suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why would you do that?! Definitely time to get another one then. Preferably tailor-made, three piece...

      I hope to see it on your blog soon!

      Delete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.