Monday, 17 June 2013

Luggage: Pierre Cardin suit carrier

You may recall that a few months ago I posted about my search for the perfect collection of gentleman's luggage. Both the most important and most difficult to find part of all this was a perfect suit carrier. I was looking for something that would comfortably fit not just a suit and a couple of shirts, but also had pockets for wash kit, shoes, and other bits and pieces. That way, if needed, the right suit carrier could contain everything I'd need for a weekend away.

The trouble was, it seemed to be almost impossible to find what I was after. Suit carriers seem to come in one of two types: a) large with lots of pockets, but extremely ugly and made of lots of hard-wearing black material or b) elegant leather or canvas covers with no room for anything but a suit.

Despite a fair bit of searching, I couldn't find anything that combined the best of both worlds, with the exception of Aspinal of London's offering for £500. Tempting, but just too expensive.


In the end, it took a trip to eBay to finally find exactly what I was after. And it only cost me £16 plus £32 to have it couriered to me because it was collection-only and I was too lazy to go to Croydon. Still a bargain though. It's a Pierre Cardin suit carrier made of smart blue canvas edged with leather. The main compartment could easily hold a suit and a couple of shirts, probably even two suits at a pinch, but there are also two zipped pockets inside for shoes, and two large external pockets to carry assorted other items needed for a weekend away.

It's literally exactly what I was after, and I actually find it slightly surprising that what I wanted clearly does (or did) exist, but it took me going to ebay to find it. Perhaps its a question of what is fashionable - as far as I can tell even Pierre Cardin no longer makes bags quite like this but, like everyone else, only offers the ugly black nylon ones.


And now I can't help wondering if PC ever made a matching grip or weekend bag. If anyone spots one, do let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.