Monday, 10 February 2014

Frederick Lynn

In the Spring, I'm planning to go out to Chicago - a city I've never visited, but one with a thriving fashion industry and one that I associate with a business-like but sharp and stylish dress-sense. I'm excited to visit some tailors there, and particularly excited to already be talking to one. Frederick Lynn is the creation of Aaron Comes, a 'refugee from the corporate world' of big garment manufacturers who started his own business three years ago making handmade suits and accessories and, in December, opened a beautiful new showroom in Chicago.


With a range of cloths including both very traditional English makes like Scabal and the Italian mill, Marzoni, Frederick Lynn is clearly ready to cater to a variety of tastes and styles. This much is clear from the sample photos they sent me of their suits, which include both a beautiful muted soft three-piece business suit and the sort of bright purple checked sports coat that I imagine ex-Ivy-Leaguers wearing to their country club but which, I fear, I could never pull off.


Like many of the modern generation of tailors and, indeed, increasingly of the old-school ones, Frederick Lynn offer their suits at different price points depending on how much of the work is done by hand. Although I'm a big believer in the advantages of a hand-made suit, I'm also a big believer that a suit that fits properly is more important than anything else, so it's nice to be able to go to a decent bespoke tailor and order a suit that will fit right but won't break the bank.


The range also includes a number of elegant-looking leather accessories, and both bespoke and off-the-peg outerwear. As someone who has long been hunting for a properly long trench-coat instead of the thigh-length ones that are all anyone seems to sell these days, the made-to-order outerwear is of particular interest and something I will be certain to look at when I visit.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a proper look round the shop in May, at which point I will report back with a more detailed post. In the meantime, if you're in the area and have a chance to pop in, or already have any experience of Frederick Lynn, do leave a comment as I'd be very keen to hear what you thought.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shop! Hope I too can visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be visiting the Chicago Athletic Association, Union League or University Clubs?

    I'd also be interested to know what the Ralph Lauren Grill restaurant is like (it sounds beyond parody) and whether the Pump Room still has a dress code (having inspired the title of Phil Collins' "No Jacket Required" by refusing him admission).

    A great city, the view from the bar at the top of the Hancock is every bit as good as the top of the Sears Tower (and a far more pleasant experience).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to stay at the Union League club, as I have reciprocal with them through my London club. I wasn't aware of the Ralph Lauren Grill restaurant, but if I have time perhaps I shall have to drop in!

      I'm very much looking forward to my visit, and I hope I'll have time to take in a few sites in between business.

      Delete

Feel free to disagree, feel free to do so vehemently, but try do do so interestingly. Either way, kindly be polite.

Comments on posts more than 30 days old require moderation, but don't worry your message will appear as soon as I spot and approve it.

Comments that are really advertising or SEO-bait are mostly picked up by the automated spam filter but those that aren't will be deleted as soon as I see them.